We’re wrapping up with updates for now. Here’s a recap of key developments today:
- A report prepared for the Senate detailed the scope of a Russian operation to spread disinformation online and influence the 2016 election. The fake pages created by Russians especially targeted African Americans, in an apparent effort to discourage them from voting, researchers found. And they found that “active and ongoing” Russian interference operations still exist on social media.
- Former FBI director James Comey testified before two Congressional committees probing FBI actions during the 2016 election. Afterward, he ripped into Donald Trump for undermining the rule of law and lying constantly about the FBI.
- Senator Lamar Alexander, a Tennessee Republican, announced he will not run for re-election.
- The woman who climbed the Statue of Liberty in a Fourth of July immigration protest was convicted.
- The clock ticked down with little progress toward averting a government shutdown over Donald Trump’s demand for money for his border wall, as a poll showed most Americans disagree with the shutdown.